Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Many types of aid may be available to help you pay for college when you decide to transfer, including:

  • grants
  • scholarships
  • work-study programs
  • conversion scholarships/loans
  • waivers
  • military benefits
  • national service award
  • prepaid tuition
  • student loans

The financial aid office at the college or university you want to attend can help you determine if you qualify for institutional aid, including aid not listed above. You can also learn more about aid from the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority.

Transfer Scholarships

Most colleges and universities also offer scholarships to transfer students. These are usually competitive scholarships with minimum GPA and credit hour requirements. For more information about transfer scholarships, consult a transfer contact or website of the college or university you want to attend.

Program Applicability

Students should be aware that the institution may only disburse financial aid for coursework that either meets general elective requirements or that is specifically required by the program of study.  Courses outside of these requirements are the financial responsibility of the student.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal regulations require students who receive federal financial aid to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).  A student who fails to meet SAP standards for the first time will be placed on a "warning" status, allowing a student to continue to receive Title IV aid for one term without an appeal. A student who fails to meet SAP standards at the end of the warning period or second consecutive term, will be suspended and not receive additional Title IV aid.

SAP is measured at the end of each semester/term for all students based on the following standards:

  • Qualitative Standard (GPA): Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
  • Quantitative Standard (completion or success rate): Successfully complete at least 67% (two-thirds) of all credit hours attempted
  • Maximum Time Frame (MTF): Students are expected to complete their degree/diploma/certificate in their chosen program of study within a maximum time frame defined as 150% of the number of credits required to graduate from that program (all classes required to graduate plus an additional 50%). Federal regulations require that students be evaluated for "Pace Progression" to determine whether they are on track to receive their credential before aid is lost due to exceeding MTF. Note that transfer credits also count toward MTF.  Once it is determined that a student cannot graduate within the maximum time allowed, the student may go directly to a suspense status without a warning status.