Admissions Checklist

If you are on active duty, a drilling reservist, or a member of the National Guard you may qualify for Federal or State Tuition Assistance (TA).  Work with your respective branch of service if you plan to use Tuition Assistance.

If you will not be using TA, apply for admission to your home college.   This is the college that offers the program you plan to pursue.  You must designate a home college in order to apply for admission.  Be aware of admission deadlines.  Once you have applied, you will be notified by your home college with your next steps.

Request official transcripts from high school and/or any non-KCTCS colleges where you have completed coursework. You can order high school transcripts by visiting Parchment and college transcripts by visiting National Student Clearinghouse.

Apply for Education Benefits. If you have questions about your education benefits you should contact your Veterans Services Coordinator for assistance.  

To check on the status of an VA Education benefit payment, call 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551). You can select the option for an automated update, or speak to a claims specialist.  You can also visit the GI Bill Help Portal to see answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Once you receive a Certificate of Eligibility, submit a copy to the Veterans Services Coordinator at your college.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Be sure to fill out your FASFA as soon as possible.  Your VA benefits are completely separate from Financial Aid.   The FAFSA determines students' eligibility for grants, loans, and work-study.  IMPORTANT:  No one should ever pay to complete the FAFSA—it is a free form and free help is available at all KCTCS colleges. 

Register for an account to obtain your Joint Services Transcript (JST). It is recommended that you review it with your Veterans Services Coordinator for possible college credit prior to sending an official copy to the records office at your local college.  Air Force veterans and service members should request their transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). See Military Training Credit for additional information.

Submit your official ACT or SAT scores.  If you have not taken the ACT or SAT, you can schedule a placement test at your local college.  A placement test is used to determine whether or not you will be required to take any remedial courses.

Submit your Benefits Certification Form.  After you have been advised and are registered for classes, you must complete and submit a Benefits Certification Form to your Veterans Services Coordinator. You may be able to submit the form online so check your college's Military & Veterans page. Your coordinator can otherwise provide instructions for obtaining and completing the form. This form is required to certify your VA educational benefits.  You must complete a Benefits Certification Form each semester after registering for classes.  If you do not complete the Benefits Certification Form, neither you nor the school will receive funding.   If you add, drop, or change a class after you have submitted your initial Benefits Certification Form, you must submit a new Benefits Certification Form immediately.